Together we can do extraordinary things! Now more than ever, we need your help to keep b.j. spoke gallery a thriving part of Long Island’s cultural offerings. Our member artists: painters, sculptors, photographers, collagists and printmakers have been a staple of the Long Island arts community since 1975.
b.j. spoke a member owned and run cooperative gallery and 501(c)(3) organization. We are funded by our membership dues, sales of art, and two national juried competitions. During these challenging times, we are not able to access or implement these resources. In addition to creating a diverse range of original, awarding winning fine art, our member artists have: helped to run a successful, inclusive community-oriented gallery; produced and promoted monthly exhibits; run art & poetry groups; organized national juried competitions; run charity events; planned and hung all exhibitions; acted as jurors for local art organizations; taught across Long Island; and served as a host venue for other art and performance groups. These events have all been created or arranged by b.j. spoke gallery and managed by our members.
Our art events attract thousands of people to the Town of Huntington each year. In addition to bringing recognition to local artists, b.j. spoke gallery visitors patronize local shops, restaurants, hotels, and attractions, helping the community to thrive.
YES, I want my donation to help b.j. spoke gallery re-open its doors and continue to provide the exhibitions, charity, and cultural events for our community.
Is my donation tax deductible? YES, b.j. spoke gallery is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization. Your donation is tax-deductible within the guidelines of U.S. law. To claim a donation as a deduction on your U.S. taxes, please keep your email donation receipt for your record. Receipts will be sent to you upon successful completion of your donation.
EXHIBITIONS & EVENTS at b.j. spoke gallery
- STREET 2 SPOKE – an exhibition to honor the work of Neo-expressionist, Jean Michel Basquiat his influence on graffiti and street art. Never before seen works by Basquiat, created during elementary school at Brooklyn’s PS101 were on display. The event was free and attended by hundreds of guests. Video by Silver Tuna Studios.
- THEATRICAL PERFORMANCES and SINGER/SONGWRITER events.
- MONTHLY ART EXHIBITS – Our exhibits change monthly. Opening receptions are free and open to the public. Member solo shows, themed exhibits, winners exhibitions, Harvest of Artists, and guest artists are part of our ever changing list.
- NATIONAL JURIED COMPETITIONS: EXPO and PAPERWORKS- held yearly. Our judges come from some of the finest New York Museums; Whitney Museum of American Art, Museum of Modern Art, and Guggenheim. Our Winners Exhibitions share art by artists across the U.S. with our local community. Many winning artists attend from afar to experience the gallery and talk about their art.
- HARVEST OF ARTISTS– a yearly non-juried show for local, non-member, artists to exhibit their art for one month with our gallery members, network and get exposure.
- HUNTINGTON VILLAGE ART WALK – June & October since 2016, founded by Wendy Curtis of The Huntington Arts Center. Hundreds of people have taken part in this 4 hour walk that includes all the art organizations within a 1 mile radius. Refreshments are served and prizes are raffled off. Free to all.
- POETS ALOUD – Led by gallery president, Kevin Larkin and poet Kelly Powell. A free monthly open mike poetry reading. Held on the 2nd Friday of the month. Open to the public. Reading poetry is not required.
- ARTIST CIRCLE- a bi-monthly meeting held on Sundays at b.j. spoke gallery to empower artists at all levels. Membership is not required. Founded and run by member artist Katherine Criss.
- BREAKING BOUNDARIES– a collaborative exhibition with FREE (Family Residences and Essential Enterprises- which empowers people with special needs.) held twice since 2014, in which art by members of FREE was intermixed with art by the gallery members.
- VIBS- Victims Information Bureau of Suffolk- a month long charity exhibition of small works to raise money to support their cause of preventing family violence.
Your donation is greatly appreciated. We look forward to seeing you at b.j. spoke gallery again!
President, b.j. spoke gallery