b.j. spoke is an artist owned and run cooperative art gallery and non profit 501(c)(3) organization, in Huntington, NY that exhibits the work of members 10/12 months yearly. Our members embrace many media, styles, and expressions. Our members not only bring art to b.j. spoke but share their expertise and talents in successfully managing the gallery. Our members’ dedication to the arts and b.j. spoke gallery has enabled us to hang one show per month, run two juried competitions per year, have an open submissions event for our community, host poetry nights, charity events, artist talks and bi-monthly “artist circle” discussion groups. Perhaps most important, we provide a community for one another. We can talk about art, our own and others, and the ideas that have kept us painting, sculpting, moving and changing, for more than 40 years.
If you are interested in becoming a member, you can find our membership application form by clicking this link: membership application.
Here is a general description of how membership works at the b.j. spoke gallery.
- Members exhibit work in 10 shows per year. Two or three of these are group shows occupying the entire gallery (without solo artist shows). The remainder occupy one of the three gallery rooms.
- Participation is required – committee work, attendance at meetings, chores, etc. Members sit (supervise the gallery for the day) once a month or pay a sitter $50 for the day.
- Each member has a gallery key and a vote at general meetings.
- Members having solo shows must make their own receptions and invitations. b.j. spoke will provide PR for member solo shows but additional publicity by the solo artist is suggested.
The Artist/Gallery Agreement
- The work of all new applicants for membership, rental or visiting artist of the month must be reviewed and approved at a monthly gallery meeting.
- The hanging committee has the sole responsibility for positioning the work.
- New members make a commitment to join the gallery for at least one year.
- The gallery will retain a 35% commission on sales.