b.j. spoke is an artist owned and run cooperative art gallery and non profit 501(c)(3) organization, in Huntington, NY that exhibits the work of members 10/12 months yearly. Our members embrace many media, styles, and expressions. Our members not only bring their art to b.j. spoke but share their expertise and talents in successfully managing the gallery. Our members’ dedication to b.j. spoke gallery has enabled us to be a part of Long Island’s art & culture community for over 45 years. As a cooperative, art gallery, it’s ritical that new members be willing to participate on 1 or more gallery committees.
A new exhibition is hung every month. Members usually show their work in 10 months per year. We run two national juried competitions per year. These competitions are only for non-members. The winners exhibitions are held in EXPO/MARCH and PAPERWORK/AUGUST. The gallery also hosts poetry nights, charity events, artist talks and bi-monthly “artist circle” discussion groups. We provide a community for one another. We can talk about art, our own and others, and the ideas that have kept us painting, sculpting, moving and changing, for more than 45 years.
If you are interested in becoming a member, please download our membership application.
Here is a general description of how membership works at the b.j. spoke gallery.
- Members exhibit work in 10 shows per year. Two or three of these are group shows occupying the entire gallery (without solo artist shows). The remainder occupy one of the three gallery rooms.
- Participation is required – committee work, attendance at meetings, chores, etc. Members sit (supervise the gallery once a month) or compensate another member to sit in your place.
- Each member has a gallery key and a vote at general meetings.
- Members having solo shows must make their own receptions and invitations. b.j. spoke will provide PR for member solo shows but additional publicity by the solo artist is suggested.
The Artist/Gallery Agreement
- The work of all new applicants for membership, rental or visiting artist of the month must be reviewed and approved at a monthly gallery meeting.
- The hanging committee has the sole responsibility for positioning the work of monthly exhibitions.
- Membership requires a commitment of one year.
- The gallery will retain a 35% commission on sales.