Is b.j. spoke gallery the right choice for you? We are an artist-run cooperative that presents shows of members’ work in our gallery space in Huntington Village, Long Island. We have a mission of community education. Our members are varied in the kind of art they produce, ranging from realistic to abstract and embracing many media and means of expression. Each of us brings skills to the table that help to keep the gallery alive and active. These might be computer skills, planning, publicity, show preparation – you name it. The gallery exists because of the art and the efforts of its members. Through member efforts, we hang one show per month, run two juried competitions per year, have an open submissions event for our community, host poetry nights, charity events, artist talks and a bi-monthly “artist circle” discussion group. Perhaps most important, we provide a community for one another. We can talk about art, our own and others, and the ideas that keep us painting, sculpting, moving and changing. If this combination of effort and opportunity appeals to you, then perhaps you should consider applying for membership.
If you are interested in becoming a member, you can find our membership application form by clicking this link: membership application.
Here is a general description of how membership works at the b.j. spoke gallery.
- Membership dues are $200 per month.
- Members exhibit work in 10 shows per year. Two or three of these are group shows occupying the entire gallery (without solo artist shows). The remainder occupy one of the three gallery rooms.
- Participation is required – committee work, attendance at meetings, chores, etc. Members sit (supervise the gallery for the day) once a month or pay a sitter $50 for the day.
- Each member has a gallery key and a vote at general meetings.
- Members having solo shows must make their own receptions and invitations. The gallery does publicity, but more publicity by the artist is always acceptable.
- Membership dues are $150 per month.
- Associate members have work in all gallery-wide group shows (2 – 3 per year). Their work may be accommodated in other shows when space permits.
- Associate members do not have keys, do not gallery sit and do not vote at general meetings, although they are encouraged to attend and speak.
Visiting Artist of the Month and Invitational Solo Artists
- There is a one-time fee of $500 for Visiting Artists; a fee of $1,200 for Invitational Solo Artists.
- The exhibition space for Visiting Artists will be a gallery room; Invitational Solo Artists will have an entire room (one of the three gallery rooms) and a window space.
- The gallery provides publicity; the artist provides invitations.
- The artist may provide or share in a reception. Either will be done through the manager.
The Artist/Gallery Agreement
- The work of all new applicants for membership, rental or visiting artist of the month must be reviewed and approved at a monthly gallery meeting.
- The hanging committee has the sole responsibility for positioning the work.
- New members make a commitment to join the gallery for at least one year.
- The gallery will retain a 35% commission on sales.